The Unconscious, Unconscious Bias, and Elections - Joel Weinberger, PhD (Live)
Virtual Grand Round Series
The presentation will briefly discuss what we currently know of unconscious processes. It will then show how implicit bias works, discuss the relevance of these processes to national elections, and provide some clinical implications of unconscious processes to psychotherapy.
______X Introductory _____X_ Intermediate ______ Advanced
1.) Participants will be able to identify current research findings related to unconscious processes.
2.) Participants will describe implicit bias.
3.) Participants will be able to describe two clinical implications of unconscious processes in psychotherapy.
Joel Weinberger, PhD, is professor in the Derner School of Psychology at Adelphi University. He is a Fellow of the Association for Psychological Science and of the American Psychological Association. His book, The Unconscious: Theory, Research, and Clinical Implications, co-authored with Valentian Stoycheva is the winner of the Book Prize Award of the American Board and Academy of Psychoanalysis. His research on unconscious processes has been recognized with the Ulf Kragh Award from the University of Lundh, Sweden. Dr. Weinberger is author or coauthor of approximately 100 publications, and is a founder of Implicit Strategies, which consults for political campaigns, nonprofits, and businesses. His political and business commentaries have appeared in the national media. He is also a practicing clinical psychologist.
Austen Riggs Center Inc. adheres to the ACCME’s Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Medical Education. All those at Austen Riggs Center involved in the planning of this activity, including the presenter(s) listed above, report they have no relevant financial relationships with an ineligible company*.
The views and opinions expressed in this presentation are those of the presenter(s) and do not necessarily represent the official policy or position of the Austen Riggs Center.
* An ineligible company is any entity whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
Austen Riggs Center, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0115.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
Accreditation Statement - Austen Riggs Center,Inc. is accredited by the Massachusetts Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation Statement - Austen Riggs Center, Inc. designates this Live activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 APAThe Austen Riggs Center, Inc. designates this Online live for 1.00 continuing education credit(s) (CE) for psychology. The Austen Riggs Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Austen Riggs Center maintains responsibility for the program and its content.
- 1.00 ASWB-ACEThe Austen Riggs Center, #1344, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Austen Riggs Center maintains responsibility for this Online live. ACE provider Approval Period: 02/02/2023-2/2/2026. Social workers completing this Online live will receive 1.00 continuing education credit(s). For a listing of jurisdictions that accept ACE, please visit States and provinces that accept ACE | Association of Social Work Boards.
- 1.00 Contact Hours/ Participation